in the mood

This morning, for no particular reason besides the aspect that I was thinking about it for quite a while, I woke up with an idea. That's nice. An idea for a scent, or better said, a scent for an idea. Thus, first thing after the coffee: Opening up my excel file where I store all my formulas. There, in the excel file, I have more or less a sheet for every idea. Sometimes I have two three themes in one sheet. Sometimes there are just a few formulas in the sheet, sometimes douzens. Sometimes an idea was tried once and I gave up immediately.

That's always the first step when composing a new scent/trial/liquid waste: Fill in the excel. I have columns how much should go in there, theoretically, and how much I actually put in there when mixing with the balance. The excel does a calculation step: I write down imaginary units, that sum up to 1000 unit for a complete trial, and the excel calculates how many milligrams   this corresponds to. Like 80 units are 1000 mgr. Thus, my final trial will be 12500 milligram.

If you want to say so: The creative part happens before or while working in this excel sheet, where I start with fleeting top notes and end the list with the heavy basenotes, trying to group some themes. Grouping themes like writing the citrus notes one after the other, the herbaceous lavender and rosemary next to each other. The geranium, rose, citronellol and other rose notes in one block, the iris notes in one block, the vanilla/benzoin theme in one block, ending with ambergris/musk/cashmeran and stuff. It is a matter of personal taste, I think, but to me this is very helpful when rethinking about a formula: It is sort of easier to interpret and understand.

Sometimes, I do truncated trials, too where I test a theme, a contrast, an overdosing. Just to see what happens. Overdosing is always exciting and usually a complete failure, but you never know....

To be honest, mostly we all are pretty clueless.

12 thoughts on “in the mood”

• As you say, you never know. Some of the most wonderful things - such as penicillin - were discovered by scientific accidents. And flashes of inspiration.

• hotlanta linda 14. January 2016 at 1:22

If we are all pretty clueless, then your odds of success in a trial are WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better than most of us! Swinging to ~~In The Mood``:-) :-)

• Sound very intriguing Andy... I wonder what beauties we'll have next from you :-)

• Sounds like fun, Andy! Creative work is always exhilarating, isn't it? I had a breakthrough today with a creative solution to a hard technical problem, so am feeling fairly pleased with myself too!
    Cheers!

• Good Morning! Ah yes, it's so good there is Excell to quantifie chaos ;-) But allow me to ask: Why is your beast of burdon of a scale resting on a folded newspaper?
    Cheers, Till

• good question, Till! It is (front part only) in order to stand horizontally levelled. That's the only reason. :-)

• Totally, Theresa! And congratulations to your breakthrough: I am still waiting for mine :-)

• Yes, Hotlanta Linday, in German we have a saying "Uebung macht den Meister", translating into sometime like"you have to practice in order to become a master" . :-)

• Knowing nothing about the creative process, I love hearing about how you do what you do. Last night I was enjoying Amber Flash, after finally arriving in the US for holidays and being able to order it. It is great! It smells like an incensey amber on me. Can't wait to hear about the new release in February. Tuberose Sotto la Luna is a beautiful green floral - what will be next? :-)

• Oh so true that “Uebung macht den Meister”. The "Uebung" part can be tiring and frustrating at times, because I don't feel like I am getting anywhere with it. It helps me to think of how a baby learns to walk - how despite falls and tumbles and bumped heads, the desire to walk is so strong that they just keep at it until they succeed. Most of us in good health do not think twice about our ability to walk , however when we were one year old it was a big effort.

• Yes, LaRaffinee. Some people, unfortunately, have to relearn walking, for instance after a stroke. And it is incredibly complex and demanding. I sometimes wonder how much of our brain power goes into all these things that we do without thinking: Walking, reaching out for something, touching, even breathing and sitting straight: It is quite amazing what the brain does just on the side.

• :-) Thank you, Tara!