uncertainty

I planted, a while ago, red leaf beet (Mangold), and it sort of grows well, in a large box on the veranda. But I do not think it is leaf beet really; having discussed it with my neighbour who is very knowledged: We both came to the conclusion that it might be beetroot. Maybe it was not labelled correctly in the garden market? Maybe it still is red leaf beet but it does not grow well in boxes and decided to put all the energy into the ground bulbs and not the leaves?

Well, I guess "you never know what you gonna get". I for my part love beetroot, but am the only one in the house, and I for my part feel that I know what we gonna get in Europe, with the Euro; a mess. Actually, we are there already in a messy swamp where everybody has an opinion from the financial and other experts to the politicians, and every opinion has a grain of truth, where a country is bankrupt and everybody knows it, and where a currency that was intended to be strong and stable got weak and the reason for many worries.

Why I mention this here, on my perfumery blog: Because it is relevant if you run a business. You can feel this uncertainty everywhere. It adds to an already toxic mix of uncertainties that makes companies stop investments, consumers buy more carefully or not, and makes federal banks pump more money into flooded plains where it does not seem to do much. Maybe because the plains are sort of infertile?

In all the uncertainties that linger there in the Eurozone: I stopped thinking about what happened and what should be done. But I really feel for the people in Greece, and other countries in Europe's south. It's more than rough there; for many it feels like a trip to Africa's shores and I am not talking about palms and cool drinks on the beaches but medication that got out of financial reach and malnutrition and youngsters without any perspective of getting any kind of job.

In the end, it is all a big reminder that we are not entitled to prosperity and happiness. Citing from the US declaration of independence "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Pursuit. But no guarantee for happiness. And for sure no guarantee for wealth and money.

So... I watch my beetroot/mangold growing and am really curious where we will end up in the next months.

10 thoughts on “uncertainty”

• politics and finance, i know not. beets, i know. so i'll just comment on them and say, i love beets! and beet greens. sauteed with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. and beets, pickled to deliciousness with lots of dill. hoping for a brighter future and smooth sailing ahead for so very many. whatever comes to be, right now andy tauer, you are making the world a better place with your magical scents.

• I can only echo what annsmith has said.
    We can only do so much to make the world a better place, but if we each do our part then how much better the world will be! It is not the relative size of our contributions, but our continued belief and dedication to those contributions. Andy, thank you for yours.

• Such a difficult time for Greece - a woman on another perfume forum said she is afraid she will lose her business and house in the coming year due to the debt crisis. The politicians and bankers play their games, and the people pay dearly. I don't feel too optimistic for the Euro.

Fortunately we have beautiful perfumes to soothe us in times of stress. +1 on Melissa's comment.

PS I love beetroot too!

• right on soul sisters. its true that we just have to "keep the faith" and stay true to doing our part to make things better. its a brighter world, having people like andy shooting out rays of light with his beautiful scents. we are fortunate in that way.

• Yes, "I keep my faith" and try to stay true to what I feel matters ...

• So well said, Melissa, thanks so much!

• I have a Greek friend or two, too. I am not too optimistic, either. And then: I made my own little experiences with Greek customs: It is out of this world....

• Coming from the country which truly appreciates the beet roots, and staying away from the politics - beetroots make the best soups.
    The summer soup version, served cold: cook/boil the beet root, once cooked - cut it in tiny cubes; then add, also cut in the same size cubes: cucumbers fresh or pickled or both; then add kefir or sour milk diluted with water 1:1, salt, black pepper. Put in fridge for about 30 minutes. After this, immediately before consumption, add: hard-boiled eggs and ham or bologna-style sausage cut in tiny cubes, green fresh onions, fresh dill. Goes well with dark rye bread.

The winter soup version, aka "borsch", served hot: get a nice piece of pork shank with bone & bone marrow, remove meat from the bone and cut in smaller pieces, then cook both meat and bone together for about 1.5-2h in salted water with pepper & bay leaf (possibly also red beans). Then add a little bit of cured pork/ham or bacon for extra flavor/scent. Then add to the boiling soup thin-sliced cabbage. Immediately after cabbage is added, in a separate pan cook the beet: grated beet root, grated carrot, tomatoes, oil. Tomatoes are needed to preserve the red color of the beet root and add a bit acidity to the taste. We use sunflower seeds oil, but olive oil will work too. Beets should be cooked for about 15 min, and are ready once they change the smell. It's a distinct moment and one can't miss it - the smell fills the kitchen instantly. Then add the content of the pan to the boiling soup, add fresh potato (cleaned, skin removed, cut in pieces) and garlic, cook all together for another 15 min but not too long, just long enough for potato to be cooked, so that soup stays bright-red. Before consumption we add to the bowl of soup a spoonful of sour cream or Greek yogurt. I also like to add dill, green onions. Pork can be replaced with beef, but a good bone is essential for proper taste. Chicken meat not recommended. For vegetarian version of the soup - replace meat with beans and mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus).

P.S. Thank you for making the wonderful perfumes.

• Oh, wow!
    thanks so much Ira for for the recipes. I just printed the winter soup version. I had borsch when visiting Russia and loved it (winter version) but I had no idea how to actually cook it. Great. Thanks again :-)

• Andy, my pleasure :-) I hope you will like it. The proper home-made soup is quite dense; volume proportions in the cooked soup of the solid part to liquid part are approximately 2:1. Amount of cabbage and beet roots are approximately equal. The restaurant versions are usually much lighter, more like 1:3 (solid:liquid) or even 1:4, have much more liquid and weaker taste. -- Summer version of the soup is also very good, especially on hot summer days, although the recipe may sound bizarre. This soup has less "solid" part and more liquid, probably in proportions 1:2.