Roses et al

Welcome back to a new week with (hopefully) exciting days. I had a pretty busy weekend and am looking forward to a week that will have it all: From packing perfumes, riding the car to pick up packaging goods and combining this ride with a visit at "Bauhaus" (love it!), to meeting perfumer friends and creating perfumes (and painting, of course).

The other day I realized that many of my latest creations did not feature dominant citrus notes. And I figured: Ah... we are in a citrus void. You know: When creating perfumes, I feel I have my favorite notes and themes that last for a while and then change to another theme, to other preferred notes or combinations.

But, realizing that there haven't been much citrus notes recently, it already happened and I feel I am in for change again.

So, ... some of the musings over the last few weeks went more into citrus and vintage territory. Citrus: That's one of the many characteristics of -let's say- fragrances that are more than 60 years old. How rich in citrus notes they are! Unfortunately, these days we live in a world where citrus brings flashbacks of  "WC Ente", (toilette duck, for pictures, click here)....

So, you might say: No worries, dear Andy, your sparkling citrus wonders are so different. Sure they are, but rest assured: All of us can't go back to a world where we were not flooded by "artifical" lemon et al. We simply can't. Our brain is branded with fake citrus.

The same is true for vanilla, but more on the taste side.

So, maybe some citrus, but here's the thing: I am also in a rose phase. There's hope.

Today's picture: An ad picture for facebook and my tauerville site there.

12 thoughts on “Roses et al”

• Your illustration for the Rose Flash is beautifully showing the different facets of this gorgeous perfume. I'm very lucky, it seems, that your are rather often in a rose phase. Hopefully this is not only a phase, but part of your perfumer DNA. The image also shows unmistakably that your roses are appealing to ladies and men alike.

• You're right, Andy. Most of the citrus on the market has a synthetic tinge to it. This is why when some one produces a natural-smelling citrus fragrance, I'm all over it. One of the most realistic citrus I smelled recently was 1861by Xerjoff. Excellent fragrance with a decent longevity for a citrus.

• I am quite burned out on Citrus because it DOES smell too much like household cleaners to me. And I use a wonderful geranium-scent kitchen cleaner but now I wouldn't want to wear geranium notes in a perfume.

However....I would happily spritz myself with a tomato-leaf scent all summer long. Hint hint :-)

• Andreas Tauer 31. May 2016 at 7:54

Thanks so much, Stephan
    I guess, if there's one theme that goes through all my creative perfume life: It's roses. And the desert maybe. So chances are pretty good that the last rose has not come , yet .

• Andreas Tauer 31. May 2016 at 7:55

Hi Victor
    have you smelled Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes? (just talking about citrus notes...) :-)

• Andreas Tauer 31. May 2016 at 7:56

Hi Melissa
    hint hint hint :-) I am loving your hints. My tomato plants are growing again, slowly though as it is just not warm enough (the last three days at least) and yes, yes, yes: Their tomato leaf scent is amazing. Every year a great surprise again!

• I too am thrilled that you aren't "done" with roses. It is my absolute favorite scent and I LOVE all of yours (even if Incense Rose makes me sad on a weirdly existential level). I crave (desperately) a thick, jammy rose (without raspberry), coated in honey and cinnamon...minus the vanilla. Not a gourmand (don't like to smell "foodie") just looking for even more depth. I like your citrus idea though too. Orange Star is so fun, but not frivolous. I like whatever anchors the sparkliness to keep it from just drfiting off. Lime is a citrus that doesn't get enough attention. Got to admit...tomato leaf sounds intriguing. Curious what kind of spin you would put on it!

• Not a big citrus fan, although I love Orange Star. :-) The only other citrus (not the artificial lemon/lime) I like is yuzu. It has a wonderful earthy smell that underlies the citrus smell.

• Andreas Tauer 1. June 2016 at 7:04

Good morning, Tara!
    Thanks! Yes, Orange Star is all about citrus, but - do not ask me how and why- it is more. It might be the "clean amber" note that makes it a citrus that is not a citrus :-)

• Andreas Tauer 1. June 2016 at 7:05

Thank you, Susanne!
    Yes, I forgot about lime, Susanne! It indeed does not get a lot of attention which indeed is strange. I have the essential oil in my palette, use it rarely, for no obvious reason and I thank you for the reminder :-)

• Hey cool...you're welcome! Maybe "Limeopolis" or "Limeapalooza" will one day grace the shelves

• hotlanta linda 3. June 2016 at 1:11

Sir Paul`s album ``Red Rose Speedway`` to keep tou going!! :-) :-)