art projects

Today's picture is really too small to see. The original is 70x50 cm and an experimental acyrylic work. Let's give it a title: Broken city. Or "failed experiment". I was experimenting with spatula, brushes and lot! of water.  Not every experiment really works.

On the perfume side of my daily life things work out nicely these days. Lonesome Rider shipped and ships and I am really happy. The idea with the dedicated website worked and I reached one goal there: Setting the tone and tonality and communicating that Lonesome Rider is special. OK: Let's face it... I could have done the same for Noontide Petals, or for Sotto la luna. I feel that actually most of my creations deserve a dedicated space that goes beyond a product description page with a buy button. But then: Keeping up with one website is one thing.Keeping up with a dozens: Not possible, really.

So there's one of the problems in the industry these days: The half life of a new scent is weeks. After a couple of weeks everybody forgets about it. This has definitely changed in the last 10 years. And, to be totally honest: I sometimes forget, too. I do not know when I talked the last time about Noontide Petals, really. Shame on me. It is a wonderful aldehydic scent that come pretty close to being vintage.

I mentioned it a while ago: I will get a new website. Here's my hope: I hope that I will get a bit more space there to talk about products. And to publish larger pictures on my blog!

So, what's next? Emails! Among other mails: I got so many project collaboration  emails ; It feels a bit like every day there's a new art project popping up, dealing somehow with scent. Mostly, usually, I say no to any potential art collaborations. For a couple of reasons: (not in order of relevance) I feel I want to create fragrances, not art. I want to create them following my inspiration. I do not like my scents being shown as museum objects really. And I want to sell not show.

So you see: I am getting a bit tough there. I could spend the rest of my life shipping free bottles for exhibitions and doing scent art projects without getting 1$ back.

Maybe in other words: I prefer to ride alone when it comes to perfumes.

12 thoughts on “art projects”

• Interesting thoughts. Spring is with us.

• Lincoln Osiris 7. March 2016 at 22:28

Hey Andy,

I can totally follow your thoughts here,
    concerning the creative AND the business side of things.

More "virtual space" for the scents is a very good idea,
    something like a full page spotlight per product comes to mind. With more impressions, a comment here and there...maybe an anecdote or two by you.

Looking forward to it!

• Interesting comments - I agree about the short cycle of hype on fragrances. I think it's a great idea for a new website to talk about your scents and hopefully give some of your less new scents more limelight. Today I am wearing Lys du Desert. Not new, but quite a bit better than most of the samples I have been testing lately. I wore it specifically to give my nose a rest from all the dreck I have been smelling and remind me what a good perfume smells like. Whew!

• hotlanta linda 8. March 2016 at 2:15

The electric energy blue/green grid of Spring - glowing w/ amber warmth as it gets ready to BLOOM! :-)

• Since I've been enjoying Lonesome Rider for a week now, it's a fitting tribute to your latest blog post. Ride on, Andy.

• If riding alone's allowing you to come up with scents you like then you might be lonesome but not lonely Andy, as many of us really appreciate those lovely scents... Yes, as Michael said, ride on and don't look back :-)

• Good morning, Peter
    I wish it was here already. Yesterday, we got 2-3 inches of snow again. Winter is a tough fighter....

• Hi Lincoln thank you! That's exactly the idea :-)

• Good morning, Tara, Thanks so much for your comment! Yes, Lys du désert: It is flying way too much under the radar. Now that I read your comment I go like: Ah... I need to smell that again :-) I need to make a facebook post! :-)

• Great, enjoy the ride, Michael!

• Good morning, Kal. Yes, lonesome is not lonely :-)

• I am still in Mexico. Everyone here wants to know what scent I'm wearing - LDDM of course! Andy, you could have a big market down here (just what you need, right? Me telling you how you can work even harder! :-)

L'air Du Desert Mexicana, si?