an apple a day

The holidays are over and we are going back to normal which is actually easier than one might think. I do not know about you, but I cannot handle too many festive days in a row. I get all slack and honestly: I can't handle too much food, too. Thus: Welcome back normal! Over the holidays, when not in the kitchen cooking or in the dining room eating, I was working on a couple of perfume ideas and doing some painting exercises. Like working wet in wet in oil. The result: Today's picture. I haven't worked in oil for almost a year and it was interesting getting back there. I learned a lot using other techniques and realized (again) that sometimes it really helps staying away for a while. The same thing is true in perfumery

Perfume work: Well... this needs a couple of more trials. But I am getting there. I am revisiting a couple of trials and ideas that ended up unfinished in my excel. I sort of rediscovered them after having them sit there for a year or more. Sometimes, yes, sometimes doing nothing and just waiting does the trick.

Today, I'll start moving some of my stuff into the new room (painting stuff): I am using part of the room to store perfume packing material. This I already moved up there Dec. 23rd. I will need to get a couple of things like a table and a chair, too. I think this is all super exciting.

In a certain way, the table and chair will be my holiday gift from self to self. Otherwise, I did not give myself anything. This is perfectly fine. I have everything that I need.

18 thoughts on “an apple a day”

• I thought "apple in oil" was going to be a new perfume!

Perhaps you are right: too many days off is not always a good thing.

• Hi Andy, & Happy Holidays. It's nice to get over the holidays... but there's still the New Year which is coming :-D

• That apple looks good enough to eat! My liver is ready for a rest from all the holiday foods... New year's will be a quieter affair this year. :-)

• It's back to work for me too. I was "good" this year and did not overindulge in food or wine. I feel much better as a result! Virtue is its own reward! Love the apple painting!

• nice pic andy. you captured the light against it nicely. yes, is good to get back to "normal". the christmas season becomes so intense for some reason. i love the holiday of every day. every day, a wonderful little holiday. best
    wishes for a super 2016. it will be fun to see what develops with you. peace...

• I'm still in the Christmas afterglow...! There's not so much that is "imperative" in this quiet week between Christmas and New Year's, and I think I enjoy this time most of all.

• "Apple in oil" does sound like an interesting perfume concept...but I'm also looking forward to hear more about the perfume you ARE working on.

• Dear Andy,
    I want to eat this apple :-) arriving Happy New Year! - let us always be just what you need :-) be happy

• Dear Vladimir
    A happy new year to you. May it be peaceful!

• Well, Doc Sinister
    I haven't really started working on an apple concept in perfumes, but I am more coming back to a leathery iris theme :-) and I am seriously considering a gentleman's tonic like fragrance.....

• I love the word Christmas afterglow, Melissa.
    Yes, I am enjoying these limbo days between the end of the old and the beginning of the new year. It is calm as many offices and businesses are closed and there is time to clean up the mess of 2015 and prepare the ground for a shiny 2016. Let's hope for best!

• HI AnnSmith the light was part of the exercise and the brush stroke, working "wet in wet". I like the result, too. :-)

• Hi Theresa, "Virtue is its own reward" I will keep that in mind.... thanks!

• Dear Tara
    Here, the New Year's Eve will be like every year: Friends and a great dinner and me bringing the desert (Tiramisu, home made, the full big thing!) and THEN, then it is time to work on the detox programme :-)

• Hi Kal
    the holidays are so nice because they come to an end.... I am looking very much forward to Jan. 4 with a full big working day in the factory :-)

• Hi Peter, "apple in oil" sounds a bit technical for a perfume. I think I would rather baptize it something like "Eve's last temptation" :-)

• Lovely apple - nice to see the effects of another medium. I am currently painting in tempera and absolutely love making my own pigments/paints. I have bags and bags of earth minerals and exquisite gemstone pigments - Lapis Lazuli, Cinnabar, Malachite, are so beautiful to work with! The painter van Dyck used a combination of tempera and oils with good result. I too am setting up a more designated painting space/room, especially since I do use toxic lead pigments in addition to the lovely mineral and earth ones. Christmas lives on for me in the 12 days of Christmas and 12 Holy Nights - beautiful contemplative time. May you enjoy a time of rest and rejuvenation and artistic delight!

• Can almost smell the apple - and want to bite it! :-) Still humming ``Jingle Bell Rock`` - and Hall and Oats :-)