sometimes we do this

Greetings from Zurich, after a couple of hectic days. Like: Really hectic! One reason is the Tuberose sotto la luna.

The other day, I watched a documentary about Steve Jobs and was amazed. I learned a lot of details that I did not know. And I was amazed about how pushy and smart he obviously was. Pushy also in the sense of: Super not modest, like telling everybody that this, this PC is the best in the world. Well, I guess some of them really were top.

So I said to the bookkeeper the other night: "you know what: I think it is about time to be a bit less modest."

"like what?" he replied ....you know my bookkeeper is always getting suspicious when I talk like that; quite often a sentence like "it is time to..." ends up with spending money for an idea.

" like telling the world that some of my scents are some of the best there are. In the world. Period."

"Ok, that should work", the $ gatekeeper replied, all happy.

So there you go: Luca Turin mentioned during a recent event organized by the Perfume Society in London :

"....Oct 3:Here's snippet 4 u. reckons L'Air Du Desert Marocain is on par with Shalimar & will still b with us in 100 years." (copied recklessly from Persolaise's twitter feed)

Then, of course, the house of Guerlain and Tauer cannot be compared. I am still a baby, and maybe not focused enough on making money, like really, yes, seriously.

That's why, maybe, I do sometimes things like this, a hand painted birthday card going with an order (see today's picture). This, well, this cannot be explained to a business development manager, as it does not pay off in $$$, but only in smiles. And no: It is NOT going to be a standard service that I 'll offer.

But then: A smile counts, too. Somehow. Although it does not pay the bread, and for sure not the butter.

Ah, and yes, I forgot: You know what. The Tuberose sotto la luna is one of the best tuberoses out there.

12 thoughts on “sometimes we do this”

• You should tell Harrods and all those other swish department stores about the wonderful Tauer perfumes. Once you are in through those gilded doors the world is yours!

• i don't see why you can't use the great reviews you got to boost your 'marketing'... you can even put it here on the website, because why not?
    last monday i saw your fragrances in a small fragrance shop here in Vienna, and I was shocked, i didn't know! they even have your tuberose... but honestly i would still order from you! :)

• :-) :-) :-)

I hope to publish something on my blog about the Turin evening, Andy, but it will take me a bit of time to transcribe everything he said... and time is always in short supply, as you know.

But yes, he sprayed some L'Air on a blotter and was immediately transported away. He compared it to Knize Ten as a modern take on a leather. He said that Tauer Perfumes is an excellent example of an organisation which could not have been a viable business 15-20 years ago... and he added that you very much deserve to have a viable business.

He also... ahem... asked Persolaise to "keep up the good work"... so there you go, I can be immodest too ;-) But maybe it's okay to be immodest on someone else's blog.

You know, Sherlock Holmes thought modesty was a complete waste of time, because it was as inaccurate, dishonest and unhelpful as exaggeration.

• Well, to be honest, dear Peter, I think Harrods would not take what I can offer them. Maybe there is another way to conquer the world....

• Thanks so much Crystal. Yes there is - very new for me - a store in Wien carrying my scents. This IS exciting!

• Yes, Persolaise: Holmes is always right and you run one of the best blogs out there. And thanks for sharing the snippets!

• Andy, that is high praise indeed from the esteemed LT. I am eager yo hear his take on the tuberose.

Today I was in Fortnum & Mason sampling and discussing perfumes with the staff, and I mentioned you and LDDM (did your ears burn?! )
    I'm going to Harrods tomorrow, I'll ask why they do not carry Tauer :-)

• oh, wow, Melissa! Thanks so much. I 'll bet that they have never heard of LDDM :-)

• Andy - of course your L'Air is brilliant and great praise from Turin. Let's hope it does stay around for many years to come.

• hotlanta linda 9. October 2015 at 15:00

You need the line from `New York, New York` that says ``wake up in the city that never sleeps... and find I`m King of the hill/Top of the heap!!``:-) :-)

• High praise indeed from Luca Turin. On book covers they always cite positive reviews, why not do the same on your web site? :-)

• Dear Andy,

Well, by gum, your Sotto la Luna Tuberose IS one of the best tuberoses in the world! I just got mine, in the mail, WITH a card that you have signed. I can not tell you how I love a) getting your scents, and b) you signing a card. I just love that! I believe you're the only Nose out there that does. ALSO, I saw a blue watercolor by you, done in August of last year. Roses. It was just gorgeous! If I saw it on a gallery wall, I'd buy it and hang it on my wall. It's wonderful to have these creative outlets, and be DAMNED GOOD at it, too!!
    Wishing you the best of the seasons to come. I am simply sitting here, writing you and the beautiful cloud of your tuberose has brought me the most joy, today. Thank you so much!
    Marion N, Wyoming