a lot of sample vials

A new week, and sort of the same stories to start the day: Negotiations about Greece. Slowly but surely the Euro stories turn into picking over bones of a corpse that`s dead as a dodo. With a paralyzing effect on a variety of levels. And the drama, or soap opera, presents everything that does not work there, in the common currency game, on a silver tray. Does it matter? You bet! For the folks in Greece, for the folks paying the bills, for investors: like me, they all watch the game and start questioning what is going on and how did we get there.

Maybe, in the next hours after this post has gone life, there is some sort of solution. We will see. Although I cannot change anything there, it troubles me.

What can you do? Nothing, except moving on, head down, and trying to see the bright light that is waiting at the end of the tunnel.

And, maybe, try to get acquainted with the idea that the currency issues, the super weak Euro, exchange rate troubles, will continue to shake the ground we are walking on. These days, pessimistic as I am, I am still preparing for an exchange rate of the Swiss Franc (my home base currency where most of my costs are based) to the Euro of less than 1. Brrr. Frightening.

Anyhow: We keep moving on. Last Friday, we jumped big into air du désert boxing. And while doing so, the truck came with sample vials. A palette full of sample vials (and pumps of course).

The problem was: My supplier switched sample vial size. His new ones are smaller and do not fit properly into my discovery set box. Thus, my supplier and me talked about it and in the end found a deal: We get 50'000 done, half for me, half for him, and these 25000 got delivered, after they were custom made in France, last Friday.

Yes, that's a lot! of sample vials.

And now, I wonder... maybe I have to push the discovery set a bit. I was thinking about making and offering pre-defined sets. Like "the 5 best sellers" or like "5 roses" or "4 roses and a surprise". There is time, but I feel I need to come up with a better way of pushing one of the greatest products I offer online: The sample tin box, aka discovery set.

9 thoughts on “a lot of sample vials”

• Andy, I think the idea of a "curated" discovery set would be a great idea: many people are overwhelmed by too much choice, and then they don't want to make any decisions at all.
    And It's often helpful to have a framework in which to properly appreciate a set or a collection. This is why art juries prefer to see related pieces of the artists' work, rather than a mixed grouping.
    5 Roses sounds wonderful - sign me up! :-)

• Hi Andy. The discovery sets are fabulous and I use the tin to keep samples in when I go travelling. I do think that for those new to your range a curated set is a great idea.

• Andy, those discovery sets are brilliant and I think it should be made known that they exist! Because let's be real, not everybody can afford high-quality full-size fragrances. Maybe you can put together like a bestseller set too, then add another 'surprise' so that your new customers wouldn't have to guess what they will get initially. I had to do a lot of reading and well, guessing when I ordered a set which I enjoyed but many people do not have the time or patience to do that :)

• Great idea Andy. I would love such a set.

• Dear Andy, yes, I agree with your thoughts, all this financial uncertainty has a lot of negativity.
    I like all three ideas: "the 5 best sellers" or like "5 roses" or "4 roses and a surprise". I think and assume that it has a future. I vote with both hands :-)

• The Greek situation is frustrating to me - they keep talking about a deal, but there is no compromise on the side of the Germans who seem to be willing to kill the Greek people just so their banks can get all their money. I keep thinking back to the 2008 financial crisis where Iceland just said no, wiped the slate, and are now doing fine. There is so much hand-wringing about "breaking up Europe" but in a bad relationship divorce can be the best solution.

As for the discovery sets, sounds like a great idea! :-)

• hotlanta linda 14. July 2015 at 0:03

Your samplers coming with the choice of scents is great by me! And offering a best of for newcomers is sensible All we do for the upturned world is PRAY. For sense and responsibility. Don Henley's Dirty Laundry...

• those are brilliant ideas for the sets. all of them ! i love being able to choose which ones i want the best and hope you keep that option. LIGHT will always TRIUMPH

• If you are going to offer pre-selected Discovery kits, how about your five most recent fragrances? that way, your confirmed but lazy admirers (like me!) can keep current on your offerings.
    best wishes, Theresa